UI or User Interface Designer is responsible for maintaining visually stimulating user interface through use of artistic icons, typography, colour schemes, buttons that users click, interface transitions & animations etc. basically maintaining the aesthetics of app or website or video games. Besides this, UI Designers are also concerned offering unrivalled user experience through logical, intuitive user navigation while utilizing a digital product. Navigation can be classified into either Graphical User Interface or Voice-Controlled Interface or Gesture Based Interface.
Eligibility: To enroll into a UI Design course, the students need to fulfill the following criteria:
- Pass class 12th exams from a recognised board in any discipline.
- Graduation from a recognised university in any stream with a minimum 50% marks.
- On fulfillment of the above two steps, students become eligible to appear in an entrance exam.
- On scoring the required cut off marks in entrance exams, students are allowed to give an interview
- The students clearing the interview are allowed admission in post graduation UI Design course in the college
Key responsibilities of a UI Designer:
- Research & Analysis of Design to analyze the performance metrics
- Conceiving visually appealing designs and creating storyboards to communicate the project plans to client and other stakeholders and getting their approvals.
- Designing visually stimulating graphic design- icons, colour, typography, images etc.
- Smooth and logical interface
- Crafting Animation & Interactivity in the apps, websites etc.
- UI prototyping to gauge the working of the concept before its finalization
- Collaborating with diverse teams from varied departments like developers etc.
- Testing & analyzing the finished projects-websites, applications and software etc. to check its flow and find solutions to the errors/issues.
- Artistic skills to come up with innovative design concepts
- Inquisitive mind to keep learning new technologies, experimenting and keeping abreast with evolving trends
- Problem solving skills to ensure completion of project in time
- Organisational capabilities to manage multiple projects
- Communication and networking skills to coordinate with multiple teams
UI Design course
Many colleges are offering UI Design course, however in order to choose the right college, students must take cognizance of the following points:
- College must offer professional certificate that is recognised at both domestic as well as at International level.
- Curriculum must ensure meaningful interactions between technology and humans.
- Students must gain competencies in new technologies including IOT, Interactive screens, Visual Design, system thinking, human behaviour etc. Additionally they must also be adept at creating wireframes on Invision, documentation on FIGMA, high fidelity on XD etc.
- The course must equip students with the basics of HCI (Human Computer Interaction), user experience design & principles and practices of user interface.
- The college must ensure exposure through interaction with industry experts, participation in real world projects, internships, client handling through real life case studies etc. This will assist students in building portfolios.
- The college should ensure experience in use of industry-standard tools
- College must inspire students to make presentations while presenting their projects, the decisions they took and the rationale behind these decisions. Thus facilitating confidence development in students.
- College must ensure development of supplementary skills relevant with this course-masters or PHD in UI/UX design or competencies in Animation Graphics etc.